On 25 January 2018, the Arbitration Institute of the Finland Chamber of Commerce (FAI) held a morning seminar and discussion on the “Need for Revisions of the Finnish Arbitration Act”. The event, held at Helsinki’s Savoy restaurant, focused on key problems arising from the 1992 Finnish Arbitration Act and the need to revise the Act in its entirety. See the invitation for more information here.
Key speakers of the event included Mika Savola, Chair of the FAI Board; Christopher R. Seppälä, Partner Of Counsel at White & Case’s Paris Office and former FAI Board Member; Klaus Peter Berger, Professor at the University of Cologne, and Board Member and Past President of the German Institution of Arbitration (DIS); Sigvard Jarvin, Avocat and arbitrator (formerly General Counsel of the ICC International Court of Arbitration); Corinne Montineri, UNCITRAL Legal Officer; and Tuula Linna, Professor at the University of Helsinki.
The FAI wishes to provide students interested in arbitration with the opportunity to participate in Helsinki International Arbitration Day 2018 (HIAD 2018) free of charge. If you are interested in participating in the conference, kindly send an email application with your CV to Salla Sointu (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the latest on 19 March 2018. (more…)
The Finland Chamber of Commerce has decided to appoint Petra Kiurunen (Partner, Lindfors & Co Attorneys, Helsinki) (CV) as the Chair of the FAI Board starting from 1 April 2018. Kiurunen is currently the Vice Chair of the FAI Board. (more…)
- Master of Laws (1996) and Political Sciences (1993), University of Helsinki
- Trainee and associate lawyer at Hannes Snellman Attorneys Ltd 1995-2002, partner 2002-2018 (until 31 March), Head of Dispute Resolution 2006-2016
- Secretary of the Finnish Arbitration Association 1998-2010, Board member 2004-2017
- Chair of the FAI Rules Revision Task Force 2012-2013
- Chair of the Redemption Board of the Finland Chamber of Commerce 2013-2015
- Chair of the FAI Board 2013-2018 (until 31 March)
- Independent Arbitrator as of April 2018
Survey on Legal Reasoning in Commercial Disputes, Professor S.I. Strong, University of Missouri School of Law
Those with experience serving as arbitrators or judges in national or international commercial disputes are invited to complete an anonymous electronic survey that is part of an international empirical research project entitled “Survey on Legal Reasoning in Commercial Disputes” (IRB #2010449C). The survey is being conducted by Professor S.I. Strong, a specialist in international and comparative dispute resolution and a senior faculty member at the Center for the Study of Dispute Resolution at the University of Missouri School of Law (see http://law.missouri.edu/faculty/directory/strongs.html). (more…)
2017 was another active year for the FAI in terms of arbitration and mediation cases, activities, news and events.
YACF, like many of its sister organizations, is as an organization run by volunteers who like both – arbitration and organizing events (the latter for purpose of promoting arbitration and young lawyers in arbitration). YACF would not exists without such great volunteers. (more…)
Adriana Aravena-Jokelainen in a Nutshell
- Case Manager at the FAI since March 2010
- Previously, member of the Arbitration Practice Group of a leading Finnish law firm in Helsinki, Finland (2005-2009)
- Before moving to Finland in 2003, lawyer with a full-service business law firm in Concepción, Chile
- Postgraduate diploma in Biosafety, UNIDO (United Nations Industrial Development Organization) and Universidad de Concepción, Chile
- Postgraduate diploma in European Studies, Universidad de Concepción, Chile
- Chilean lawyer (Licenciado en Ciencias Jurídicas, Universidad de Concepción, Chile)
- Bilingual industrial business management clerk German-Spanish (Kaufmännisches Berufsbildungszentrum INSALCO, Santiago, Chile; apprenticeship with BASF in Santiago de Chile)